24 August, 2005

Valour-IT: It's a Small World...

Seawitch has been blogging in support of Valour-IT since the very beginning. It turns out she's had quite an effect on her corner of the blogosphere, which includes a group of Australian bloggers. When Valour-IT recently received a donation from Australia, I was able to trace it back to Seawitch's Australian friends. And this led to my discovery of a vivacious, young, Australian blogger named Rachel, of Legless in Perpetuum. She posted this in response to Seawitch's request to spread the word about Valour-IT:

Seawitch, that is an absolutely amazing and bloody important cause that you are supporting. As I have a high-level spinal cord injury I also use a voice-activated computer. I have my little microphone that I speak into, and because I can move my arms I have a trackball mouse[...]I know what it is like to be stuck in hospital for a long time with nothing to do and no access to the outside world[...]

This project will make a massive difference to the lives of wounded soldiers. Giving them access to the outside world, as well as the independence that voice-activated computers will bring, is such an honourable way to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our well-being. [bolding added]

For all the times I've tried to speak or write about why this project is so important, I'm sure I've never said it half as well as Rachel just did.

Excuse me. I think I've got something in my eyes... While I'm gone, you can use that "Donate" button on the right.