01 December, 2005

Democrats and the Military and Politics

I'm more a conservative Libertarian than anything else. So, I try to avoide partisan party politics. But I've had just about enough of the Democrat leadership. Last week they voted overwhelmingly against an "immediate pullout" from Iraq; today their House Leadership is saying that we need to pull troops out of Iraq immediately (Lex has more).

And Representative Murtha (ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations defense subcommittee who has called for immediate pullout from Iraq) is at it again.

Most U.S. troops will leave Iraq within a year, and the Army is "broken, worn out" and may not be able to meet future military threats to the country's security, U.S. Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa. said.
We have long read that the U.S. Armed Forces are under tremendous budget constraints, and they are doing the usual pleading for money on Capitol Hill. But, I've read nothing as extreme as the description Rep. Murtha uses. Frankly, I don't believe any of this. And to say that the U.S. army is broken and worn out sounds an awfully lot like saying it can be beaten in Iraq--something I had until that point never heard a major U.S. political figure say.

In light of all the above, is there any reason I shouldn't view the Democrat leadership as nothing more than political hacks who will sacrifice military morale, encourage the enemy, and endanger the U.S. simply to score points against their political rivals? Somebody, please give me a reason, 'cause I hate thinking of any of our politicans the way I'm starting to think of these Democrats.