03 September, 2006

The Buddyhood

I was looking for a graphic to illustrate a post I wrote recently, but instead I found this photo and commentary from retail site Sgt. Grit:

I don't know how many other Marines saw [this picture]... An injured Marine was laying down on his side and a bunch of other[s] around him. It looks like he got wounded in the lower back. I pray he is safe and recovering well. What captured my attention the most was there was someone holding his hand. No doubt a buddy. Someone who knows him well, possibly for years or maybe just a few months. It doesn't matter. He buddy was there for him. Holding his hand, giving him comfort during his pain. Maybe saying, “Hang in there, you're going to be ok.”

This is comfort that only a Buddy can give, other than your mom. Your buddy know[s] all about you. How you smell after two weeks without a shower and what you girlfriend's name is. All about your mom, dad, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews and anyone else that you love. What your hopes for the future are and what you want to happen in your future. He knows which MRE's you like and don't like. You usually eat together and you automatically swap components in your meal because you know he'll eat something you will not. He knows your favorite restaurant for libo, and anywhere else you like to go. He knows if you like to read and what literature you like to read. He know[s] if you sing and what your favorite songs are. He also knows if you can't sing worth a hoot because he lets you know every time you cranks up a tune. He knows what your favorite songs on the radio are and if you’re drunk enough you both sing together, and sound good. He knows what the first thing you're going to do when you get back stateside [is]. I don't read a lot between the lines but I just couldn't help having a lot of thoughts run through my mind when I saw the picture.

God bless the Marine Corps and God bless America,
J. Bolin "Bo", Cpl. 1986-1992 Wpns 1/5, 81's, Semper Fi. Boot Camp Plt. 2074
We often wonder how our warfighters do what they do. I think this is part of the answer: it’s amazing what you can do with a “buddy” at your side…