11 September, 2006

Remembering 9-11

[I will be adding more accounts of the day as I find them.]



Steeljaw Scribe - At the Pentagon and remembering shipmates
Homefront Six - Remembering Father Mychal Judge
AFSister - Comparing her morning to that of one whom we lost that day
Cassandra - Remembering and reflecting
Laurie - The story of a regular guy who went toward the towers
Kat - Reflecting on good versus evil
Neptunus Lex - Beyond description. If you only read one today...
Op-For - Required viewing
Cop - Thoughts of a first-responder on the West Coast.
Growing Old Disgracefully - Beautiful portrait of a sailor at the Pentagon
Captain Z - From the present to the past and the collective to the individual
Echo9er - The last man out of Vietnam
John of Powerline - The unheard story of 9-11-06
Major Pain - Where were you when you five years ago today?
Some Soldiers' Mom - She was in NY... another must-read.

[update] I don't know if I have it in me to write much personal this year about that day and all that surrounds it; it seems to get harder the further we are from it. Yesterday I saw video of the WTC towers falling and other horrific visions of that day. I can't remember the last time I saw video of thsoe events--probably 2002--but it feels as fresh as if I'd seen it last week. I found I remembered every detail, that nothing had that zing of newly-recovered memory. Perhaps distance gives me room to feel the impact instead of trying to escape from it as I did in the months immediately after... Maybe I will write about it later. In the meantime, here's what I offered last year: It's That Date Again.

P.S. Notice the direction everyone is moving in that final picture above...