03 January, 2007

Job(s)?

[Boring personal stuff here. Just skip on down if you're looking for mil-related stuff]

At this rate, I'm not even counting eggs, much less chickens. But...

I soon may have as many as two jobs. About two months ago I interviewed for a decent-paying position in a daycare/after-school program at a local military base. But it initially has extremely variable hours and those kinds of jobs are often reserved for military spouses, so I didn't put out much hope. Thus I wasn't surprised I didn't hear from them.

But late yesterday, the man who interviewed me called and was surprised to hear I hadn't heard from Human Resources. He stuttered and stammered because he couldn't acknowledge I was to be offered a job (HR should've done that), but he was obviously operating under the assumption I had been contacted.

Time was spent with HR today untangling it all. Short version: I'm hired, pending the outcome of a thorough two-stage Navy physical. Fortunately, I'm a female, so I won't be experiencing the travails Lex so freuently describes...

On another front, someone I know is starting up a business that will involve being a kind of "guide" to organizations wanting to reach out to military personnel or families (for example: establish a charity, market educational programs, etc). There will be a need for some assistance and I've been asked to supply it, pending start up.

And... a friend of a friend is also trying to start a company (not as far along as the one mentioned above). But I've been told if he manages to land the contracts (security consulting), I'm the office manager--guaranteed.

Hopefully, between the two more definite positions, I will soon be able to pay my bills without being a burden to others.

Unfortunately, the after-school program position will probably not start for two weeks and will involve a very low number of hours at first. So, I'm going to be hanging by a financial thread for quite a bit still, I imagine. Frankly, I doubt January's bills are going to be paid. We'll see how long they let me get away with it...

But there's reason to hope. I think I may be seeing that pinprick of light way down at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope it's not an oncoming train...