11 February, 2008

Nearest to Heaven on Earth

Cassandra is hosting a wonderful discussion about marriage's relevance in American society, with a number of readers arguing that marriage brings no benefits to men these days. It elicited the following beautiful comment from reader "tweell."

When I realized that my wife had become an alcoholic in my absence (God knows my family is enough to drive anyone to drink, and they live across the street), I left the Navy for the reserves and we held together. We were two people with a common purpose, helping each other's weaknesses, subtracting sorrow and multiplying happiness. She passed away last year, I am diminished manyfold. A good marriage is the nearest we can get to Heaven on earth.

*sniffle*

May God comfort and bless you, tweell. And may your love be an inspiration to others.