13 September, 2008

Milbloggies

Last year we had about a week to vote for the best milblogs. This year, it's just a weekend. In light of the criteria for the award, I have a couple suggestions. Voting closes on Sunday night!

The Milbloggies Award recognizes military bloggers for their contribution to blogging, news and information, and to the military over the past year.

Here's my "voting guide," for what it's worth... click on each category below to choose your vote:

Army: This is a tough one. I love Kaboom and he's a superb writer. But I also think Toby Nunn is particularly strong in his contribution to news/info. They're neck-and-neck, far ahead of the pack, so pick one and push him over the top.

Navy: Another tough one. When you look at the criteria again, I think there are at least three in this categry that stand out and have a chance of winning. The Destroyermen is run by the crew of an actual U.S. Navy Destroyer. How cool is that?! LT Nixon Rants did a superb of providing a variety of news and info during his deployment, and he's doing a great job with the new C.H.U.D. blog. And I can't ignore my blog papa Neptunus Lex, who certainly has excelled as a blogger-writer and provider of context for military news.

Veterans: Another very tough one. Blackfive is certainly worthy, but I would love to see Michael Yon come out on top here. When the media couldn't bring itself to report the real story of Iraq in late 2007 and early 2008, he was our biggest source of news. And then there's his book... I'm not sure there's anyone who can match his impact and value in the last year.

Spouse: As much as I love some of the other bloggers in this category, I think that the contribution to blogging, news/info and the military at large that SpouseBUZZ brings is unmatchable.

Supporter: SA Germany and USO Girls are probably equally worthy, but I'm leaning toward USO Girls because SA Germany won a Milbloggie last year... and USO Girls really is a great blog.

Don't forget to vote in the other categories, too! I didn't mention Air Force, Marine Corps and Parent because either the race isn't competitive, or I don't know enough about the leaders to have an educated opinion, but there are a lot of good blogs there.

All you have to do to vote is register (it's quick and easy, and you won't get spammed). Each person can vote only once, so the nominees need all the help they can get.

Please vote!