22 April, 2006

The Blogging Conference: Fran's

[Background on the Fran O'Brien's story here.]

Notes from today (in no particular order, links provided later):

Got lost going from airport to hotel, didn't make it to Walter Reed.

Fran O'Brien's is an amazing place. I've gone from the theoretical anger and outrage over what's being to done to them and the soldiers they support...to a whole 'nother level of fury at the terribleness of the developing loss.

Talked to Hal Koster--I asked him what the prospects of continuing the restaurant elsewhere were. His face said it all, though he added that they were trying desperately. He also says even if they can find the real estate, renovating a typical building for a restaurant would take 1.5 - 2 million.

Most everybody I met looked different than my mental imagine of them, but they were as nice and interesting and funny as I expected.

On the comedy side, we now know what Taco Bell wears doesn't wear under his kilt... as independently verified by at least three women.

I knew it would be great to see Carren and Chuck, but I didn't realize what a relief it would be to see them doing so well. And I discovered that Carren and I had months worth of hugs stored up for each other.

Remind me to tell you about the speech the SSG gave in the bar at the end of the evening.

Well, it's now 3:45 in the morning in DC, and the conference starts in less than 5 hours. I guess I should be heading to bed... Wish you all were here...

Update: Detailed post on the SSG's speech.