22 August, 2006

Johnathan Benson, Update 5

As most of you know, my last report on Cpl. Benson was not good.

A couple of hours ago I received a report about him that is not any more encouraging than what I last posted. Please keep him and his family close to your heart in these coming days, with prayers for strength and healing for all of them if you are so inclined.

I will post more as soon as I can.

Update (8/22/06, late): I wrote to his mother, Margie, saying that I had heard his condition was very poor, mentioning this post, and telling her that Johnathan and her family will continue to be remembered. She replied with only two sentences: "Thank you. Our hearts are breaking, but we will keep on keeping on."

That last bit has been a recurring phrase for her in our communications. She has been very clear-eyed in acknowledging what Johnathan has been facing, yet hopeful and courageous nonetheless. A great mother and strong woman...

Update: Johnathan passed away on September 9, 2006.

[History: original post, update 1, update 2, update 3, update 4]