13 March, 2007

Unbelievable! And Sad...

This is a departure in content for these parts, but I had to share...

Prosecutors said Lackey is expectant father of six children with six different women. The women all are expected to deliver between August and October.
That a man had sex with six different women in three months is between him and the women. But the six babies that are resulting from it...

I'm almost beyond words. Six children who are obviously going to grow up without their father--you think a man who does this is going to be conscientious about making sure he's involved in their lives and is paying the proper child support? I almost wish the six other women didn't know about each other so they could suddenly find out and take their vengeance on him. What an unspeakably irresponsible and selfish man!

And the story reminds me of the questions I've been asked by my new colleagues recently. We were discussing children one day and I was suddenly asked, "Don't you want to have children?" As if I had expressed a desire not to (I hadn't said a word about it, but they knew I had a boyfriend at the time).

When I hesitated, she continued, "Don't you want your boyfriend to give you a baby?"

I struggled with how to answer her without getting into personal discussions I didn't want to have. So I finally said, "My boyfriend and I are not long-term."

Her reply: "So? Wouldn't you like him to give you a baby?"

The rest of the group affirmed their similar thoughts and I about fell over. I finally gathered myself together and told her that I didn't want to bring a baby into the world when she more than likely wouldn't have a father involved in her life on a daily basis. I suffered because my father died when I was young, but why set someone up for that on purpose? I told her it seemed incredibly irresponsible and unbelievably selfish, and besides that I didn't make enough money to support a baby.

She was married and childless, and she (and the rest of the women) looked at me like I had two heads. I'm not so sheltered and naive that I don't know that purposely-single mothers are looked upon with tolerance or acceptance, but this level of positive talk about it just blew me away.

Single motherhood by "accidental" pregnancy, divorce or death is making the best of a bad situation, but this? Such selfishness and self-centeredness!--"I want a baby for a toy and who cares what kind of life I've set her up for?" No wonder so many people think the world is going to hell...

Sometimes I'm one of them.