19 September, 2007

Update on the Job Front

Interview went well on the face of things, but I think I might have over-sold myself again.

I spent most of the interview doing a great job of pointing out and demonstrating my skills in customer service, communication, teamwork, creativity and problem-solving... only to find out that 70% of the job is simply clerical work. I knew that was a significant part, but didn't realize quite how much.

The saving grace is that this is a superb company (management training company of international stature) that has a history of hiring "over-qualified" people in entry-level jobs. They like people of diverse professional backgrounds and transferable skills who demonstrate strong potential for advancement, often promoting from within the company.

My other concern is that I found myself talking too much about the negatives of my current job, though I discussed specific concerns from a calm and logical point of view.

But another point of encouragement is that I have my foot in the door on a couple counts: having worked for them as a teen, I know the "company culture," (a highly-valued characteristic) and I was encouraged to apply by a person whose judgment in such things carries weight within the company. That doesn't guarantee anything, but it makes it very likely I'll get a solid look.

Like all things, we'll see. By the the end of the week, I'll know if I made it to the second of four steps in the hiring process.

****************

I'm beginning to see a bit of a pattern in the last year... In the general (not military-related) business world, my job experience on paper isn't eye-catching enough to get an interview for a job that fits my true skills. However, if I slant my resume toward my actual business experience, I get noticed for entry-level jobs, then go and blow myself out of the water with a great interview that makes it glaringly apparent that I'm fishing in the wrong pond. Sigh...