23 June, 2009

Entrepreneurs

If you've worked with small businesses at all, you probably know about the "entrepreneur type." There's definitely a type, at least among the successful ones. They are focused, energetic, imaginative,bright and persistent. They do not take "No" for an answer. If they want something from you... they'll probably find a way to get it.

As part of my job, I am often giving electronic time and attention to various companies--usually startups--that donate to the organization or support us in some manner (usually that means web space, stories, etc). This puts me in touch with a lot of entrepreneur types, and I've learned that within that group of go-getters, there is yet a more intense sub-group.

This morning I actually started a conversation with the boss by saying: "Remember what I said about "Marine entrepreneurs?" Oh yes, they are definitely a special breed. Just read that first paragraph again, then overlay it with an improvise-adapt-and-overcome, never-say-die, relentless, complete-the-mission Marine mentality...

Good thing they're also unfailingly polite! And it helps that I love 'em, too...

However, they have one drawback: when you can't or won't give them what they so politely request, ignoring them doesn't make them go away. :P