30 July, 2005

Sick, Sick, Sick!

This is for any of you who may have somehow gotten the mistaken impression I'm this sweet, gentle, tender-hearted little thing. I mean, some poor deluded souls around here have been known to call me "Dear Heart," for goodness sake! ;)

Today I was taking a stroll through MLB.com to check the game time for my favorite team when a fun little ad caught my eye, urging me to "Throw a strike and enter to win!" It looked mildly amusing, so I tried to click at the proper time and place to direct the baseball across the plate. I missed wildly... tried again... I hit the batter! Stars appeared and the little cartoon batter doubled over.

Now THAT was unexpected! Hmmm... I wonder if I could do that again? The next time, I aimed for the batter instead of the strike zone. I hit him! I laughed aloud all by myself. I tried again. I hit him again. I giggled again. I did it a couple more times. Fortunately a little voice in my head soon said, "What is wrong with you?!" So I stopped... but not because I wanted to.

Like I said, "Sick, sick, sick." I didn't know I had it in me to be so joyfully cruel to poor, defensless cartoon batters.I lay myself open to your snarks, remonstrations, and suggestions for corrective action.