06 June, 2006

Looking for Work

Calling all friends and contacts:

As you may know, I'm looking for work.* The preferred deadline is early July and a firm deadline is mid-August. I've gone through the process of sifting my goals, consulting with friends and contacts, and evaluating my work experience from a skills perspective. I think I have a handle on the kind of job I'm looking for, though I'm open to suggestion. I'm posting descriptions here in hope that some of you may have a line on a job that might be a good fit for me.

I prefer:
  • To work in the fields of child care or education (all ages, but not in a public school setting), or in social services/advocacy--anything that involves helping other people where I can see the direct results of my work.
  • A military-oriented environment (for example, in a non-profit that supports military personnel/families or a civilian contractor type of situation).
  • Work that involves activity or a variety of environments (not stuck behind a desk) and frequent human interaction.
For example, I'm currently in hot pursuit of a position with a non-profit that advocates for military familes.
In general, I'm very good at the big picture, quick to recognize connections and interactions between issues or elements of a problem and how the smaller units affect the whole; I convincingly communicate that recognition and understanding to others, and then develop and implement a vision or appropriate solution.
My skills and paid/unpaid experience include:
  • Project management
  • Public Relations
  • Fundraising
  • Supervision of adults and children of a variety of races, cultures and economic backgrounds
  • Verbal and written communication, including extemporaneous speeches and extensive experience in front of large groups
  • Education of adults and children in formal and informal settings
I am also continuing to develop significant contacts in the military, troop support, and media (both traditional and "new" media).
I'm willing to move wherever the jobs are, so if you see something in your local area that you think might be a good fit for me, please drop me a line. I'm extremely grateful for any assistance.

*I'm still in the running for the Dream Job, but I need some back-up options, of course.